Monday, November 9, 2009

Merging newspapers fight against groupthink


So far, I've pointed out several ways in which the consolidation of editorial influences has seemed to impede the spread of quality information to the readers. I could be wrong. As always, I am only trying to encourage the discussion, but that doesn't mean the my words actually achieve that result.
Apparently, Doug Thompson, the sole editorial page editor left standing, apparently doesn't agree with me, as he rails against "citizen journalists" in Sunday's column. My favorite passage is the one that follows.

Groupthink is what you find on most blogs. The big bulk of Web journalism so far caters to those who agree with each site’s clear point of view.
Maybe it's my own bias, but it actually sounds like he said each site has it's own clear point of view, which, to me, would be a resounding rebuttal to what he was actually trying to say.
To open my readers to another opinion, I'll go to Roger, who has been keeping his eye on downtown Rogers for some time now. He's already gone to great lengths to discuss this phenomenon of groupthink.
I'll add only one thing. Those who read Orwell's 1984 know that groupthink was encouraged by information printed in the newspapers that could be changed at will by Big Brother and the Ministry of Truth. To me, it seems the bloggers, while possibly flawed, have a legitimate roll to play in ensuring an era of groupthink and doublespeak doesn't overtake our nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments including libelous language will not be allowed. Criticism of the content and/or style of any blog entry, however, is welcomed. Speech is free here, so long as it does not infringe on the rights of others.